Update: Some of the VPN servers had issues with DNS resolution after the maintenance. It took a while for us to notice, debug and fix these issues which resulted in a prolonged maintenance period. These issues were resolved around 06:10 UTC.
On Thursday, December 20, all servers except for London, Stockholm and Gothenburg VPN57 and VPN58 will be unavailable for approximately two hours during an update.
This update contains several improvements which were previously applied to the aforementioned servers.
List of changes:
- Switching over to ipsets rather than iptables which should result in faster connection time
- Perform celery task calls in parallel to speed up connects/disconnects, resulting in lower server load
- Modifications of the OpenVPN code to fix an issue where clients would sometime remain connected but be unable to pass any data along the VPN tunnel
- Lowered dependency on Python libraries to reduce the attack surface
- Update to Alpine 3.8.1 with newer LibreSSL and various other security improvements
- New self-tests after boot added to reduce possible individual server issues
Date and time for service interruption
Start date and time: 2018-12-20 02:00 UTC (YYMMDD)
End date and time: 2018-12-20 04:00 UTC (YYMMDD)