Certain releases are more fun than others, and this one is certainly one of the fun ones. Version 1.11.0 increases throughput for most Windows users dramatically. And since several of us at OVPN are hardcore Star Wars fans, we thought this short video (without sound) would be fitting of our constant efforts of increasing users' speed:
OVPN's main focus is privacy and security. But we care a lot about speed too, which is why we're constantly tweaking and modifying our codebase to achieve superior speeds.
Version 1.11.0 brings major improvements for Windows users specifically, thanks to the new Wintun adapter available in OpenVPN 2.5.0. Wintun, coupled with our new recommended cipher suite, ChaCha20-Poly1305, leads to considerably higher speeds for most Windows users. Mac and Ubuntu users should also be able to achieve higher, or similar, speeds as before due to ChaCha20-Poly1305.
During the recent infrastructure maintenances all of our VPN servers were updated to OpenVPN 2.5.0 to make this possible. So please, update to the new desktop client and stress test the infrastructure. We have a lot of servers at our office that we're ready to ship to data centers to handle the anticipated load increase we believe we'll see.
We hope the server purchases haven't been in vain, so really, use the force. Open 20 tabs and stream 4K Netflix videos? Or maybe Amazon Prime movies? Or Disney+ (preferably The Mandalorian)? It doesn't really matter which of the aforementioned streaming services you want to use, because OVPN supports them all.
And now, on to the ordinary release announcement format:
List of changes in v1.11.0
- Improvement: default cipher suite has been changed from AES-256-GCM to ChaCha20-Poly1305
- New: included OpenVPN 2.5.0
- New: included Wintun for Windows users
- New: added setting Use recommended encryption suite
- New: added setting Use Wintun driver for Windows users
How can I update the desktop client?
- Launch client
- You will now see a notification pop up asking you if you wish to update to version 1.11.0
- Wait for the installation to finish and enter your password if asked for it
- Windows users must accept the Wintun driver installation
- As soon as the installation finishes the new version will launch automatically.
If for some reason the online update fails
If something goes wrong, simply close the desktop client and install it manually.
The download links for each operating system can be found below.
A merry christmas you must have!
Silent knight, jedi knight