On Wednesday, November 28, London VPN 43, 44 and 45, as well as Gothenburg VPN57 & VPN58 will be offline for approximately an hour during an update.
This update contains several improvements. We are starting off with deploying the update on these five servers to test it on a live environment prior to deploying it to all servers.
List of changes:
- Switching over to ipsets rather than iptables which should result in faster connection time
- Perform celery task calls in parallel to speed up connects/disconnects, resulting in lower server load
- Modifications of the OpenVPN code to fix an issue where clients would sometime remain connected but be unable to pass any data along the VPN tunnel
- Lowered dependency on Python libraries to reduce the attack surface
- Update to Alpine 3.8.1 with newer LibreSSL and various other security improvements
- New self-tests after boot added to reduce possible individual server issues
Date and time for service interruption
Start date and time: 2018-11-28 02:00 UTC (YYMMDD)
End date and time: 2018-11-28 03:00 UTC (YYMMDD)