The second OVPN desktop client update of 2018 is now available via the online updater and on the website. Version 1.2.4 introduces support for Debian and Keychain on Mac OS X
How can I update the desktop client?
If your current version is v1.2.1 or newer
- Launch client
- You will now see a notification pop up asking you if you wish to update to version 1.2.4
- Wait for the installation to finish and enter password if asked for it
- As soon as the installation finishes the new version will launch automatically.
- Enjoy your privacy!
If for some reason the online update fails
If something goes wrong, simply close the desktop client and install it manually.
The download links for each operating system can be found below.
If you have a version older than 1.2.1
As 1.2.1 was the first version with online update support, you need to install 1.2.4 the old-fashioned way if you're on an older version. You'll find the installers for each operating system below:
Release notes 1.2.4
- Fixed a bug where all servers would become unavailable if the add-on Public IPv4 expired.
- Now only shows available servers when Public IPv4 add-on is selected.
- Added a toggle to enable/disable notifications in the client UI.
- Minor text improvements (Swedish only).
- Cleaned up log file generated by the client.
- Added version numbers to client log.
- Improved logic during reconnections.
- Minor adjustments during installation steps.
- Increased connection timeout by 10 seconds.
- Improved parsing from VPN process.
- Fixed a bug where killswitch wouldn't always work for Microsoft Edge.
- Cleaned up Firewall rules for Windows.
- Fixed a bug where closing the "Previous version detected" prompt would still run the installer.
- Fixed a bug where installer would run even though a client process is started.
- Added a new OVPN logo color for connecting and disconnecting.
- Added a balloon message when connecting/disconnecting to the VPN.
- Improvements for Windows 7 during restart/logoff.
- Added client support for Debian and various Ubuntu-based systems.
- Added support for MAC Keychain, Windows credential system and Linux equivalent.
- Increased size of OVPN logo for high-resolution screens.
- Fixed various issues that would cause crashes on Mac OS X.
- Improved logic during reconnection when waking the computer on a new network.
- Improved handling of WiFi/network changes.
- Add a check to prevent a second instance from being launched (Mac OS X/Linux).
- Add an extra check to make sure packages are installed properly on Linux-based systems.
- Improved uninstallation procedure to prevent situations where the OVPN folder would not clean up properly.
- DNS addresses are now restored to the manually entered value when disconnecting with Prevent DNS Leak checked.
- Network tests are now performed using ping instead of a traceroute when determining the best server to connect to.
- Refactored Firewall rules controller.
- Fixed a bug where pressing the Reconnect button in the client would sometimes cause the client to disconnect.
- Fixed a bug where toggling IPv6 back and forth would cause the client to crash (Mac OS X).
- Fixed a bug where the client would sometimes fail to deinitialize the killswitch (Windows) .